Spaghetti? Yes, you can have the occasional spaghetti dish using portion control. So if you’re going to have spaghetti, you might want to spice it up a bit. This is my low fat Taco Spaghetti Pie. I make homemade pasta once a week, and I try to make a different pasta dish every time. I think this fits the bill. It’s spicy (to your liking), soft yet firm, and cheesy. And my secret ingredient is the veggie meatless ground “meat”. You won’t taste the difference, and you waistline will thank you! To be honest with you, I prefer this to the regular taco. Let’s just say ‘m a mess when eating tacos – so pasta and a fork to the rescue.
- 4 small baking dishes. I used 2 spring form and 2 angel food cake pans (just to see how each would turn out – both were perfect). If you don’t have these, use a cake pan and double the baking time.
- Spray oil
- 1 large pot and 1 deep pan
- I made homemade spaghetti, but you can use store bought (maybe whole grain or veggie spaghetti) and break them in half before cooking them. Boil them until al dente.
Servings 4, Prep time 15 minutes, Cook & Rest time Time 30 Minutes, Total Time 45 Minutes
- Spaghetti (short)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 chopped (and seeded) jalapeno
- 1/2 bag veggie beef-less ground meat-free “meat”
- 1 can No Sodium Added tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1/2 cup taco sauce
- 1 packet taco sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup fat free cheddar cheese
- 4 spoonfuls fat free sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350
- Cook pasta to al dente
- Heat up a pan, and add the oil
- Then add the chopped onion, pepper, and jalapeno.
- Add salt and pepper
- Cook until soft (2-3 minutes)
- Add the veggie “meat” and stir
- Add the taco seasoning, taco sauce, and tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes
- Drain the pasta, and combine the pasta with the taco mixture
- Spray your baking vessels
- Put the taco pasta into the vessels, pushing down slightly, to make an even top
- Top the taco pasta with cheese
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (if using small baking vessels. 20-30 for 1 cake pan)
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle just a bit more cheese on top, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pasta from the vessels to plates and serve.
- Place a spoonful of sour cream on the side