Spatchcock chicken is the best way to cook a chicken because it cooks evenly.
So what is spatchcock? It is when you cut out the backbone of the chicken. Then you turn the chicken breast side up and press down on the breast bone to flatten it. That’s it!
To go a step further, loosen the skin and place melted I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter (mixed with Italian seasoning and salt & pepper) under the skin. Place the chicken, breast side up, on a rimmed baking sheet with a rack, including the backbone for future stock.
Cook at 400 degrees for 1 hour until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Cut it up into pieces and serve.
- One 3-4 pound chicken
- 1 tbsp I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter, melted
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Cutting board
- Kitchen shears
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Thermometer (oven-safe if you have one)
Prep time 15 minutes
Cook time 60 minutes
Rest time 10 minutes
Total time 1 hour 25 minutes
- Preheat over to 400 degrees
- Melt 1 tbsp of I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter
- Mix into the butter 1 tbsp of Italian seasoning and a pinch of salt and pepper
- Pat dry one 3-4 pound chicken
- Turn the chicken over onto it’s belly
- With kitchen shears cut out the backbone (reserve)
- Turn chicken over onto it’s back and press down on the breast bone to flatten
- Loosen skin and place the butter under the skin (from the top and from the bottom)
- Place the chicken breast side up on a rimmed baking sheet that has a rack
- Also place the backbone in the baking sheet
- Insert an oven-save thermometer (or skip until the end if you have a regular meat thermometer )
- Bake for 1 hour until the internal temp is 165 degrees (check with a regular meat thermometer now if no oven-safe one)
- Cover with tinfoil and rest for 10 minutes
Please let me know if you make this recipe, and please join my blog! Happy cooking!!!!
2 thoughts on “Lighted Up Spatchcock Chicken”
wow that looks really nice. gonna have to try it.
Thanks! It’s easy and cooks even. And cooks for a shorter time. Let me know if you try it.